Friday, May 25, 2007

miscellany

I've been realizing lately how often parts switch in and out, without announcing who they are. Most specifically, this would be an issue in therapy. On Tuesday, after therapy, I realized that the person who had been "out" at the beginning was Rynn, who is 17. I don't really remember the session too clearly, so I can't really say what she talked about, or whether it was a problem for her to be the one in front, but it's something to keep track of.

Mandy also went, for the last bit. Don't much remember what she talked about, either, but I know she took the monster puppet, so I assume there was some talking about that.

I've been frustrated lately by the fact that I do have to behave as though there are other people inside the head with me. I mean, sure, it's all well and good if they're showing up in therapy, but to have to compromise with such a group of people over things like what we're going to do over the course of the day, or what we're going to do with our life. That's hard, because most of them just aren't as focused and driven as I am.

I was in therapy yesterday. We talked about that, among other things. S. (the therapist) asked what feelings I have. I had said mostly frustration or calm. I guess the frustration gets tied in with guilt, and the guilt is tied in with fear. I'm afraid of being exposed as not worthy of any of the positive things I've got in my life. I'm afraid of losing out on the good things I want to get. I'm afraid of rejection. I'm afraid of being insulted. Lots of fear.

I can remember feeling very overwhelmed when I was still a teenager. I would walk to and from school, just feeling overwhelmed with all the things I was trying to cope with at the same time. I would be frustrated with myself for not managing my time better, for not getting things done far enough in advance. Now I realize that a big problem there was that the parts who did things like schoolwork really only showed up at the last minute, when the deadline was right on top of me. At the time, it just seemed like I was being bizarrely irresponsible.

The clearest visual I had from that time was of trying to build a really large building, but without a foundation, and without knowing what the plans were. I could only hold it together by maintaining absolute focus, and not letting any part of what I was trying to do slip. It was exhausting.

Seems like I'm not one of the better typists in here, and my head is very achey, so I'll end this for now. I'm getting really tired of using the delete key.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the absolute hardest things for many is to find out they have DID and to switch more often than they ever thought they could or would. Our goals change, our self image changes and our fears increase.

Having been dx'd with DID since 1992 I can say without hesitation that there is reason to not be totally open with everyone about the DID. Some will freak out, some may make jokes and some will accept you the same as when they didn't know. The thing is, know that DID doesn't devalue you in any way shape or form. Having DID doesn't mean you deserve less or more. It means you have been through stuff that killed other kids but you yourself lived for a reason. Having DID means you will have challenges that other non-DID survivors don't have but not for one second does it mean you are worse off than others. It doesn't mean you are stronger or weaker, able to take on more or less, it means your experiences were so severe that your mind had to find a way to live so that you could see better days. DID is not a measuring stick for strength, weakness or value. It's three letters that say you went through hell and back more times than anyone should ever have to.

until again,
Austin