Thursday, May 31, 2007

Camping and general update

I haven't been writing for a few days, it seems. In part, it's because we were away for the weekend. We went camping with friends, and it was good. In part, that is because camping is fun (at least for some of us parts!). Jamie and Ellis both got to make fires, which they enjoy. Mandy and Teller got to play with a dog and get attention from a bunch of different people. And since W. was doing a lot of the driving (she needs to practice for her driver's exam), it meant the adults got a good break.

But the thing that made this weekend really special was that the friends we were camping with all knew about me having DID, and were very happy to meet and interact with my different parts. It was pretty casual--not so much formal introductions as different parts coming in and out, and all of them being welcome to be there. So that was quite nice. It really makes me appreciate my friends even more.

Then, after coming back, I spent several days wiped out, either by allergies or by a cold (it can be difficult to tell the difference). So Tuesday and yesterday were both spent pretty much napping and wiped out in bed. Today is a little better, but only because I've been able to breathe through my nose 90% of the time.


I (Cleo) had today's therapy session almost entirely to myself. I think Rynn was there in the beginning, but that's just a guess. We were talking mostly about the difficulties the adult parts (perhaps me in particular, but I think I'm not the only one of the adult parts who has trouble with this) have in identifying ourselves, and being self-aware.

There are a lot of things that go into it. For one, it's just that we're not really in the habit of thinking, "Hm. Who am I?" So we operate within the general framework, as though we are interchangeable. This would be fine if we were interchangeable, but it doesn't quite work that way. It's become more of a problem lately (as in, over the past three years or so) because the things that used to trigger a switch to the "right" part for a job aren't there so much any more. So without deadlines or other pressures, things are a little more chaotic. But I guess that without deadlines or other pressures, we might never have noticed the DID in the first place, so I can't exactly say I regret that.

Another problem is that we don't like to have to acknowledge we're different parts. At least, I don't. And since the other parts are less inclined to be self-aware, and don't even really have names they can be called as though they were people, I think it's a pretty general issue.

Tied into that is the fact that we (I) feel guilty for not being able to do things that the other parts can do. The Mama can cook, clean, sew, do all the things that make a house into a really pleasant place. She lives in my body and shares my brain, so it seems like I should be able to do these things as easily as she can. The Smart One is, well, smart. She can answer questions and has a lot of factual information; she is good at being academic; she is pretty social (within academic settings, anyhow). So I should be able to do all of that, too. And so on, through the parts.

Add to that the fact that the teenagers don't have the fatigue, or even a lot of the pain of fibromyalgia, and that they have a great deal of stamina. So I should be able to do that, and not spend all of this time sitting around feeling exhausted and aching.

It's frustrating enough for me when other people (outside) don't put as much importance on being efficient and orderly as I do. It's incredibly aggravating for me that there are people inside of me who also don't place as much importance on this as I do. I like to be efficient, organized, responsible. I like to take care of things, to get things done. And I have parts who are not allowing it to happen.

Okay, so my therapist thinks it's okay to not be efficient and responsible. So W. thinks this, too. So do most of my friends. It still drives me crazy. I feel guilty about all of the things I'm not doing. I feel guilty about not being responsible, not having a job, not getting my dissertation written.

And yet, I also am realizing that I, the part, am not the one who is really able to do most of these things. I guess I'm mostly the one who keeps on top of other parts to get the things done. Or something like that. I can kind of accept that this is a long process, and I'm only at the beginning of it. But it's annoying that, given that I know what should be happening, that I can't just decide it's going to happen, when I want it to, as quickly as I would like it to happen.

One example is co-consciousness and all of the parts working together. Using a little bit of insight, I can see that some of the resistance is coming because, deep down, I don't want to really listen to what the other parts have to say. I want them to do things my way, because I feel like I know what's best. Certainly, my way would get more things done, and make me happier. But I guess that isn't what the other parts want.

And if it's hard to accept that other people won't do that, just imagine how difficult it is to cope with the fact that other parts can take over my body and keep things from happening on my terms.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found myself shaking my head yes all through out this post. For a person who needs control and order this is NOT the disorder to have. When we want and need things in order so that we can function but it doesn't happen we find ourselves in total chaos. But the truth is, this self reliance, this "everything is in perfect order" is actually a sign that things are not. We grasp to control things around us when inside of us is completely a wreck. Heck, I should know because my OCD pops up the strongest when I feel I have the least control over symptoms and circumstances.
Boy, I understand this entry big time.

Austin

Anonymous said...

As far as understanding how separate we all are I had to begin to make a few comparisons. I see DID as an apartment type dwelling. We all have our divisions, our own apartments. Instead of walls there are issues. Instead of doors there are roadblocks. But each has their own space. Some come and go more often than others but one thing remains the same...we are dependent on our neighbors in the "building" to maintain themselves and their area. We are also dependant upon our neighbors to call for help if they see us in trouble. Care for self and care for others is vital for any community to survive.

Along those lines and to explain separation and skill levels...if your neighbor is really good at cooking you may get to eat some of her food but it doesn't mean you know how to cook like her. The walls that separate you, experiences, time, age, all play into skill development and abilities. What I've seen from your entry here is that you do well with organizing. That seems to be your thing, your part in the system. someone else's part may be cooking and sewing or some other skill. But make no mistake about it, your job and their job TOGETHER means your system runs more smoothly.

I like that you complimented their skills. That is something you don't see much of on blogs...an alter pointing out the strengths of other alters. You're ahead of many on this issue. Good for you.

Austin

Tina said...

We are so glad to have found your journal. You have more courage perhaps than Tina does in accepting, facing, and being honest about the DID... She still fears the stigma associated with multiplicity more than she dreads the isolation of not telling others. I suppose the rest of us are relieved to find another multiple because perhaps she won't be so frightened of us making a few friends? Megan especially was delighted to read Mandy's entries.

I, for one, particularly identify with your entry. It can be incredibly difficult to be the responsible one, feeling like a manager all the time!

We hope you are all doing well and have enjoyed your cross country trip. If you would like to chat at all, please let us know... Similarly, if you feel it would be safer for us to leave you alone, please tell us and we won't bother you. I understand how another multiple can complicate recovery.

--Ann

Jigsaw Analogy said...

Austin: Yeah, this is DEFINITELY not the disorder for someone who likes order and control.

Rationally, I can understand that the different parts are separate. My own analogy is a shared house, rather than an apartment building, but it comes to the same thing. Maybe that internal perception, that we're part of the same household, helps us to be able to recognize each others' strengths, and to respect each other a little more.

The main conflict/roadblock kind of thing I had been dealing with was that many of the parts didn't especially like the teenagers; but the more we've paid attention to them, the more we've realized how much they do, and the more we've come to respect that the things that frustrate us (or maybe just me, Cleo) are developmentally appropriate.

Ann: Thanks for your comment. I think it's easier to be "brave" about coming out when you have a good sense of what the response will be from the people you're telling. And the friends I've told are people I've known for a long time, and whom I trust quite a lot. That helps, and made the response more predictable.

Please feel free to chat or comment (I'm better with email or blogging, although it can be a while between responses).