Wednesday, October 24, 2007

DID/MPD awareness part 2

the great people at the bulletin board i go to (A Mind's Journey) responded very enthusiastically to my question about whether there is already a symbol to represent DID/MPD. i put up a gallery at my nascent website (because, you know, i don't have enough of a web presence as it is....). anyhow, here is the ongoing gallery of suggestions people have come up with. if you have an idea, email me or send me a link to your idea.

so far as i'm concerned, there can be as many different symbols as people like, but i think there are others (not in my system) who want there to just be a couple.

personally, i'm not loving the whole black-and-teal thing, but some website that sells "personalized awareness ribbon pins" has decided that teal is the color for dissociative disorders (along with SEVENTEEN other things), and so people seem very attached to that. i'd insist on just coming up with something new, but i'm not motivated enough to do that.

but some of the designs people have come up with are really striking and clearly represent dissociative disorders (at least to me). so i guess it's all good.

4 comments:

Medicoglia, RN said...

We are partial to the puzzle piece ones...especially the one with four pieces in different colors.

The geometric designs, particularly circles, but others as well, could be very triggering for RA survivors.

Jigsaw Analogy said...

thanks for pointing that out. there are still designs being suggested, and if you'd feel comfortable making that comment at the gallery, that would be fine. i think you should be able to make comments there....

my only issue with the puzzle piece design is it's already being used for autism awareness, and i'm not sure it's distinctive enough.

thanks for commenting. i also like the puzzle pieces (note my name!) but i don't want to be too confusing.

Medicoglia, RN said...

We did a pastel drawing a few years ago that is of a face coming apart into puzzle pieces. I don't have a scanner but sometimes have success taking a picture and then downloading my camera onto the computer...I will try to make time later in the day to do that so I can share the picture. It's really too bad that autism awareness is using a puzzle piece. That really fits well for DID. Another idea is something my partner brought me from a conference on sleep disorders of all things! She felt it had nothing at all to do with sleep but that it represented me/us very well. Its a small print of a colorful tree...the roots of the tree show a woman sleeping and then through out the bark of the branches and trunk there are several other images of people...all of various ages and sexes. I think that might get too complicated for a button or something like that though.

Anonymous said...

I'd do the quilted ribbon in a heartbeat.

I have to admit that my heartbeat would stop once I got home to people I know. It seems the last friend that discovered my DID wasn't too receptive. The friend found my blog and now she doesn't call me anymore. I'd be willing to wear that ribbon out where no one knows me just so that other DID people realize they aren't alone. But as soon as I got back with people I know that ribbon would have to go right back in the closet. Coming out as DID is rather difficult because you never know who is going to walk away. She's the first in a very long time to walk away but it feels like she's the only one that I think about, not the ones that stayed.

Austin