Thursday, October 25, 2007

DID/MPD awareness, continued

Please spread the news around about this.

I posted to A Mind's Journey, asking whether there is a widely recognized symbol/ribbon for DID/MPD/dissociative awareness, and aside from the one website that sells ribbons for every possible issue, no one really knew of one. So people got excited, and started coming up with designs, both for a symbol and for a ribbon representing these issues.

But if we're coming up with something to represent these issues beyond just people on that bulletin board, we figured it would be a good idea to start spreading the word further out.

I suggested that we take people's submissions until Nov. 3 (people were calling for a vote on which symbol to use already, and I was trying to slow things down... I mean, I only posted the initial question five days ago!!). You can send them to my email address (jigsaw.analogy@gmail.com) or post them on your own blog and let me know where they are. I am posting all of the submissions I've received thus far at this site.

Between Nov. 3 and Nov. 17, we'll vote on the submissions that have received the most comments.

I'm going to try to get up a ribbon template for the less artistically-inclined, so you can just color something in. Take a picture with your camera, or whatever. Preferably, give the pictures to me as .jpg files so they're easier for me to post.

So, yeah. Spread the news, and send in your ideas. I guess this is how things get decided. Someone asks a question, and people run with it.

4 comments:

Cat said...

I tried to comment at the forum but was unable to do so, with regards to the Dr. and patient on TV.

I am not a client of the Dr. that wrote that book. I went on the show to hopefully give power to all multiples and let them know that you can live a somewhat normal life. I was in no way trying to negate the pain/suffering we all go through.

Just trying to find the positive in something many see as a negative. Hate that so many there thought badly of the show. Wish I could comment and at least give some background.

Jigsaw Analogy said...

I think comments in all sections but the guest section of the board are limited to members, but it doesn't take too long for the moderators to clear people as members (I think the main goal they have is reducing spam, so it's just about proving you're not a spambot).

I think most people who commented specifically on you agreed that if someone was going to have to go out and represent multiples, you were fine to do so. You just got caught in the irritation a lot of people there have towards that doctor (mind if I say I'm glad you're not his client?)

Actually, the fact that you commented on this post is kind of getting towards one of my soapboxes. I think that the more visible those of us who are able to be "out" about our DID/MPD can be, the less we'll have to deal with people like the hosts of the show, who came across as really trying to make MPD seem like some bizarre, weird, highly different thing. (Ok, so it is to some levels, but we're mostly not so different from anyone else.)

Thanks for commenting.

Cat said...

Wow, thanks so much for that because that is my SAME soapbox issue and that is why I chose, even with the risk of being "outed" as different, to be on the show.

I wasn't too enthralled with the Dr. I was with but I can admit I haven't read his book so I have no idea really how in depth I should state these things about him. I will have to do some research into this and find out.

I hate that others assumed I was his patient. :/

I did become a member but it looks like that section is blocked for some reason. I'm able to only see three main areas of the site and I had a message on my blog saying "we're talking about you on this site" but I had to do some serious Google cache searching to find anything about the show. I finally did and by chance was able to contact you about it. I felt a little desperate last night, like I couldn't speak for myself in that forum and let others know the truth.

Anyhow, maybe you can let those on the board know where my blog is so they can really know more about me, and not judge to quickly why I went, and...thank you for responding and being so kind. I was worried about going up there and everyone thinking I was out to "stand for all multiples", we ARE rare to a point and we DO have very different systems and I wanted to get the word out, instead, that you CAN heal from this and not choose integration.

I wish I had more time on TV to do that but I didn't. I'm still glad I was able to take some of the "weirdness" out of it, maybe?

Thanks again! Sorry to ramble in a comment area of your blog, thought it might be ok :)

Jigsaw Analogy said...

No problem with leaving comments. It's nice to know people are reading!

I did post a link to your blog, and obviously at least some people checked it out.

At least for me, I don't think *you* were trying to stand up for all multiples; but I think the way TV works, the show tried to make it seem like you were a representative.

The solution, of course, is for more of us to be as out as we can be, so people realize that there's no more similarity between all people with DID/MPD than there is between, say, all Jewish people or all lesbians or all black people or anything like that. Some similiarities, but a lot more differences!

Any interest in participating in the process of making some kind of ribbon or icon people can use to represent DID/MPD? Even though it started over at AMJ, we'd really like to get the word out so lots of people can participate in choosing (and using) what we come up with.