Friday, May 23, 2008

flashback

trying to process through a particularly intense flashback i had this afternoon. not really sure why it was as intense as it was, but then, who knows about these things?

so i was standing there, washing dishes. this is an activity that is often pretty triggering, and i know perfectly well why (lots of abuse around doing jobs perfectly; also abuse that happened simply because i was there in the kitchen, where someone might notice me.)

as i was washing, almost done with the task, i found myself flinching, braced as someone hit me. i turned slightly, so i'd be able to predict where the next blow was going to fall, and so i wouldn't instinctively try to lift my arm to protect myself. and somehow, i managed to notice that i was in my kitchen now, that this wasn't really happening.

i think part of what made it more intense than usual was the combination of circumstances. i was stressed when i started washing the dishes (although less so than i've been for a lot of this week). there were my hands in the water, washing dishes, checking to make sure the various plastic ones were getting fully cleaned. and i was listening to a song i listened to a *lot* when i was a teenager (Go On, by Russ Taff). so there were a lot of signals that brought up memories.

trying to remember what i was thinking about right before the flashback, and i really can't think what it was. nothing that is out of the ordinary for when i am washing dishes, and not feeling especially trigger-y (because i have learned that if i'm feeling trigger-y, washing dishes is not one of my better options). i hadn't even dropped something, which often brings up a flashback.

my sense of it is that much of what made this flashback as intense as it was, is that several parts experienced it simultaneously.

often, with a flashback, i only get part of the experience. for me, it's often mostly emotional. i know that the little kids, especially, get ones that are mostly physical (a more intense version of body memories, from what i can tell). some parts get ones that are mostly memories, as though they are watching something happen.

i also suspect that part of what made it feel different was the fact that at least one of the adults was nearby as it came. or so i suspect.

afterwards, after i had grounded back into the present, and decided to go ahead and wash the last couple of dishes, even though i was feeling kind of overwhelmed by the flashback... one of the parts who has been out recently commented on something. she was feeling kind of... dismissive of some things. i don't know. but she said something about how one reason the adults haven't been around lately is that for them, they would rather be dead than admit they can't handle things, or that they are not doing a perfect job with everything in their lives. (perfect in their world, which means... not necessarily perfect, but doing all the right things, and trying hard, and overcoming adversity. admirable is maybe a better word?)

i'd like to deny this, that the reason the adults haven't been around is because they can't handle imperfection, that they really would choose suicide over this, and that it's not just their insistence on continuing to function that has made other parts block them out, but *also* the fact that the adults would be more inclined towards suicide, if they were unable to enforce that perfect-ness.

and yet, i do remember a conversation i had with cleo last winter. she was incredibly distressed over me being dropped from my phd program. she was really feeling suicidal, as though this failure was... life-threatening. and i can remember someone (me, another part? i don't remember) pointing out how, we wound up where we are because the choice seemed like we could risk suicide, or we could continue being functional (in the sense of doing a lot of work, and managing without more than minimal help, and doing everything well), but at the time, the two were incompatible. and we asked, "so would you rather be dead than fail to be perfect?" and her response was an unequivocal "YES!"

so i can't deny that it's true, at least about cleo.

it's been hard for me to start to see that, for all they seemed so functional, the adults in this system really aren't perfect. they aren't actually more functional, even. they just appear to be so.

not sure what the point of this post was.

i have been meaning to write a totally different post about the song i linked to above. it's a good song, even if you don't normally like christian rock. the message is pretty simple, and for those who aren't into all the "god stuff," there isn't an overwhelming amount in it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In case this isn't entirely obvious, I'd rather the adults did not come back if the result of that is suicide, or just having a harder time with things.

Much love,

-me

Enola said...

A problem I have with washing dishes is that my back is to the rest of the room - far to easy for people to come up behind me.

And like you said - a lot of pressure on doing jobs perfectly

Rising Rainbow said...

Perfect just isn't possible. Wanting to live that way is a coping skill that just isn't effective. I sure hope your adult parts can accept that.

Anonymous said...

I've had quite a struggle with perfectionism in my life too. I agonize over past failures, particularly ones that were done in front of lots of people. I tried my best but failed miserably, or didn't live up to expectations - and everyone saw me fail. I've absolutely agonized over these failures and felt more intense shame about them than anything I can think of. There are probably things that I felt shame over when i was young, and maybe abused - but I don't have or hold those memories, if they are there.

I don't know, but I DO know that I started trying to be perfect..... well, ever since I can remember. And it's really brought me a lot of pain. Dropping the perfectionism and 'forgiving' myself for failing and being human - these are things I work on alot and have gotten a lot better at in some ways.

I still lay in bed at night though, agonizing and feeling intense shame over these public failings of mine. And every time I have to struggle with it and try to let it go again, forgive myself again, recognize how selfish I'm actually being (this was an epiphany with regard to the perfectionism - how selfish it really is for me), take a deep breath or 12.... and try to go to sleep. I'm not sure, but I THINK, that if I keep struggling with it like this - I will eventually not struggle with it anymore. But boy does it take alot of work......

..... to let go......