Thursday, May 29, 2008

disability

several people have suggested to me that i should apply for disability. i'm not sure what i think, but i'm leaning towards that right now.

but even as i type this, i am also thinking "how disabled am, i, really?" and it's hard for me to answer that.

i'd say that if w were totally incapacitated, or something like that, sure, i could probably get it together to figure out how to work at a job. but the truth is... there have been times when that seemed like it would be the case, and i couldn't get it together.

it's hard for me to accept that i can't actually do something. i mean, my legs aren't broken. in fact, none of my bones is broken. my body doesn't work the way i would like it to (it often startles me to discover that things i'm so used to are not, in fact, normal. you know, like being physically capable of standing up while a train or bus is moving).

i've tried to get myself to where i can do freelance work from home. i have trouble accepting that there is a good reason i haven't been able to manage this. i mean, i'm smart. i'm willing. and i just can't do it. i can't manage to work on my website, which isn't even something where there is a deadline.

i had to stop working on my dissertation, because i couldn't handle it.

but what "counts" as being really disabled? i keep hearing those voices in my head, saying "if you really HAD to, you could do this." and i can't work out what's true. there are a LOT of things i've felt like i really had to do, things i FEEL like i really have to do, and i can't. i have tried.

i've tried to make an appointment with the ob/gyn to get some health stuff taken care of, and i haven't been able to do it. i spend hours getting myself to dial the number, and then i can't manage to make the appointment. same with the dentist or the gp. there are physical health things that are actually problems. things that are definitely going wrong... and i can't manage to make the appointments.

does that count as disabled?

does it count as disabled that i mostly can't manage to shower, if i *can* manage to change my clothes and use deodorant, so i'm not visibly unbathed? does it count as disabled if it takes me three or four tries to talk myself onto a train if it's crowded? (and for me, "crowded" equals "people sitting on 3/4 of the seats")

i see people who can manage to keep working, even though they have much worse things going on. there are people who manage to work with all kinds of disabilities. so i can't figure out why i'm not managing it.

just because i become intensely suicidal when i push too hard... shouldn't i suck it up, and make myself work, on the theory that there's probably only a 20% chance i'd actually wind up committing suicide? i mean, that indicates that there is an 80% chance i'd live through it. those are good odds.

feels in a lot of ways like i'm just not trying hard enough. but then, there's also the fact that i feel like i'm trying my best, and just not succeeding. and that is... weird. i mean, i was raised to believe that the only reason i would fail at something i am supposed to do is if i haven't tried. and so i keep doubting that i've tried hard enough, because i keep on failing.

just... processing through this. not quite sure what the point of the post was.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems really frustrating. This will probably make you go 'o shut up!' - but I just got a new job to add to one of my old jobs to make it a full time job so i can actually get some benefits. And I'm feeling like I'm gonna be totally overwhelmed by it. I'm doing it because it seems we have to. I don't have an option anymore. I'm afraid I'm gonna crack. But then again - I crack all the time anyway so what's the difference? I'll just be cracking in between shifts or something.

I don't know. If you don't have to 'get it together' - maybe don't worry too much. Maybe you're supposed to be 'apart' right now. There are times for everything right? maybe it's your time to be, not together and with it. Maybe you have to keep trying to let go of your notions of what 'together' looks like or something. ......I know you keep thinking about this stuff...... I think you're doing a good job thinking and trying to process and trying to understand...... maybe that's all the work you need right now. It's ok. It really is. At least I think so.

Battle Weary said...

I have been on SSDI since late 2003. I really resisted applying for pretty much all the reasons you state. Then I applied and waited for the denial (supposed to be automatic on first round), prepared to try to appeal. Well...that denial never came. In fact, I was approved 4 months after my app., when it is supposed to take 6 months to hear anything. My initial reaction was terrible. I didn't think I was "that bad" but I got approved fast with no denial? What's that about? Am I really THAT screwed up? Blah, blah.

After the initial reaction I started discovering things. I could pay T copays myself... partner didn't have to. I could fill my meds myself. I could pay for the internet hook-up and cell phone service that I require (to feel connected to the world) myself. My partner never complained about these things, but suddenly I was able to provide these things for myself and it felt good to me. SSDI also allowed me to go back to school. Obviously you are much further along then I am (what is a dissertation? J/K!!) But there is a chance that getting SSDI for a while might lessen some pressure you are feeling...which in turn might make it possible to work on your dissertation. You never know. Bottom line...FOR ME, receiving SSDI is empowering.

Another thought...receiving SSDI isn't "the end". If you are on SSDI and find you have to "get it together" and go to work because of whatever reasons...you can still do that. You just go to work and stop SSDI. No biggie really. I believe SSDI even has a program to assist with that...they don't cancel the payments, they suspend them for a period of time...that way, if you are actually not able to work afterall, you get your payments right back with no need to re-apply.

Anonymous said...

I think what battle weary said sounds great! It doesn't seem like there's much to lose in applying. I wish I had known about this when my functioning level wasn't so good. I would've done it I think. The whole empowering thing of being able to take care of your own needs..... I dunno - seems really good to me.