Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Needs and Wants meme

KatM at Finding the Light in the Darkness tagged me with the "Needs and Wants" meme from Survivors Can Thrive.

Rules of the “Survivor Needs” Meme:

Please link back to the originating meme at Survivors Can Thrive, so people can see its origins, get ideas for their own self-care list, see who’s already been tagged, and maybe we can track how far this meme goes.

=> List 25 needs and 5 wants. Try to restrict your needs list to things that have to do with being a survivor of some sort of abuse, assault, etc. Your wants list can be anything you want!

=> Use this list to remind yourself to get your needs met this holiday season and in the New Year.

=> Pass on this meme and tag five people to play this meme with you.

25 Things I Need

1. Basic subsistence: safe housing, food, shelter, medical care, clothing.

A good support system, which includes:

2. Friends who accept me as I am.

3. A therapist who is competent and ethical.

4. People I can call when I need support, or am lonely, or just because.

5. "Community" in the sense we used when I lived in Portland; people who are working together on activist causes, who also support each other and making sure to have fun in the midst of trying to help the world.

The ability to understand that:

6. My life is in my own hands; whatever happened in the past, my future is what I choose to make of it.

7. Things have changed, and I am no longer in a dangerous situation.

8. Not all people are untrustworthy.

9. It is good, and strong, and right to ask for help when I need it. It is ok to ask for help, even if the person I ask to help me isn't able to help in the way I ask them to.

The courage to:

10. Fail. Yes, the courage to do something even if I don't succeed. The courage to accept that I have not done what I set out to do.

11. Try again.

12. To face my past.

13. To face the future, and accept that it will come.

14. To speak my truths.

15. To be as open as possible about all of who I am.

16. To trust other people, and to believe what they say, rather than what I fear.

Time to:

17. Play.

18. Do healing work.

19. To learn new things.

From myselves I need:

20. Patience with the healing process.

21. The willingness to go slowly instead of trying to force myself to get "better" on someone else's (or my own imposed) schedule.

22. Cooperation amongst my parts, and a willingness to listen to each other.

23. Patience with each other, remembering that we each have our own issues to deal with. Even when it means continuing for a while to carry burdens we'd rather let go.

24. A commitment to each other, and to keeping the promises we've made to each other.

25. Self-awareness and distinctness for each part, because it really does seem to help us to heal.

Five things I want
1. (More) friends who live nearby; particularly, friends who are coping with some of the same issues.

2. A playgroup for littles, where they could spend time with other kids who are their age, without all the problems connected to someone in an adult body playing with external children.

3. To be able to help others, and share the things that have helped me.

4. A DID/MPD/Dissociative disorders visibility/awareness/activist movement. I want to know I am not alone, and to stop feeling as though I absolutely need to hide who I am. I want to stop feeling ashamed, and seeing others like me feeling as though they need to hide. (Note: I'm not talking about being "out" in every single situation; but, like many visibility movements, I've seen acceptance increase as people are able to be more visible. I want that.)

5. There are a lot of things vying for this last spot, but I'm gonna go with "To win the lottery." Because most of the things vying for this spot require a substantial amount of cash (living in a co-housing community; creating a community space for people to hang out and do projects and have gatherings; having a second-run movie theater that will show good movies even if I miss them when they are in theaters; having a huge playroom with room for all the littles' toys; having the ability to do all the travel I'd like to do; plus all of those crass material wants most people have.)


I want to add here that many of the things on my "needs" list are things I do have, to one degree or another. Not necessarily all the time, but I am exceptionally fortunate in the people who surround me, and in the life I have. It's sometimes hard to believe that these are things I've chosen, and brought into my own life, but they really didn't happen accidentally. And while some of it was luck, some of it was the result of life choices I made when I was in the middle of growing up. I'm grateful to my earlier selves for everything they have done to get me where I am now. And I hope we're able to continue to help each other through this new phase of our lives.

Okay, so let me think of who to tag.

Definitely Fallen Angels, at "A Safe Place"

These others, well, I don't know if you've been tagged yet, but I'd rather post this and get on with my day, I didn't see you tagged in the places I checked, so:

Roses on the Moon.

Village of Many.

Oompaa/hlhshorty.

Ophelia at "Welcome to the Twilight Zone." (I know your blog is friends-locked, but I figure it won't hurt to invite you to do the meme!)

9 comments:

Marj aka Thriver said...

Thank you so much for playing with us. This is a wonderful list! I really like the way your organized it. AND I really like your idea of a playgroup for littles--brilliant!

BTW: I actually live in a co-housing community. I have now for almost four years. It's pretty cool!

Medicoglia, RN said...

Oh man!! Now I HAVE to bring this up with T tomorrow. :P

Kawana Aminata Oliver said...

I like this post, I may have to do one of my own ;-)

Anonymous said...

that is a wonderful list and i like how you have listed your "needs" to one degree or another and how it will differ for everyone.

you are in our thoughts, and sleep isn't doing the greatest, but i did do a futher post about it. thank you for coming by to the site ...

Jigsaw Analogy said...

marj--thanks for suggesting the meme. it's really good, even though it's no longer the holidays.

i really need to think about how to start things like the playgroup, because most of us here want friends our own ages, and i think it would be a good thing for us to have.

and it's really cool that you live in co-housing, and even more cool to hear that you like it.

fallen angels: well, good luck with coming up with your own list. it was harder than i expected (particularly with everyone chiming in with suggestions, so trying to get it organized into some kind of sense took time; and thus, the categories.)

kawana--consider yourself tagged for the meme, since i belatedly realized lunarrose had already done it. and i'm glad you liked the post.

miquiecrew--thanks for checking in, and thanks for the compliment. i hope your sleep improves soon.

Rising Rainbow said...

Wow, you did a great list.

Medicoglia, RN said...

I've posted my list. This was incredibly hard.

Anonymous said...

Want #4 I couldn't agree with more. Oh how much better things would be.

Jigsaw Analogy said...

thanks again for the comments.

kishaipanda--there is some hope for a visibility movement. i know of at least one person other than myself who has not only gotten one of the did/mpd/dissociative awareness buttons, but worn it outside of their house.