Monday, February 25, 2008

what are we to each other?

the title is referring to me (collective-me, and more specifically, the parts who have been around since august, which is to say, not the adults) and w.

it's something we've (by we i mean collective-me and w) been trying to figure out. it's one of the reasons we've been seeing couples' therapists. the plural in that is because the first two we saw didn't work out well. we'll see how the third one goes.

anyhow, i figured i might as well make a post about it, trying to figure it out.

if there were just one of me, and if it were one of the adult parts, or even if the adult parts were more present, the answer would be easy. the adults and w are partners. they have a romantic and sexual relationship that turned into a committed partnership. if it were just them, the answer would be easy. i don't know if the relationship would be easy, because from what i've observed, all relationships require a great deal of work, even in the absence of other issues.

but here's the thing. we younger parts definitely don't have a romantic or sexual relationship with w. for several months now, we've been sleeping in different rooms. (and let me tell you, that has made a huge improvement in our relationship, whatever it may be, because it reduced the degree to which we younger parts were getting triggered by being in a relationship with her!).

so we're not partners in the sense that most people would use that term, because it's not really a spouse-like relationship.

but it's not like we're strangers. w is the person i trust more than anyone else. it doesn't mean i trust her a LOT, it just means that i trust her more than anyone else. and i think that's true for pretty much everyone in the system.

when i was thinking about this earlier tonight, someone piped up that w is definitely *family*. which is true; family in the chosen sense, anyways. someone who is going to be there for me. someone who is an important part of my life. someone with whom i share a lot of history, with whom i live.

but it's still hard to work out our roles in this relationship.

i guess what i'm "supposed" to do is have the adults be the ones who are out more often, having a relationship with her, and the rest of us are supposed to... what? i don't know. i read the treatment guidelines for DID, and it seems to imply that it would be unhealthy for us to have a relationship with her separate from the adults in the system, that having w be anything other than the system's (the adults in the system's) partner is somehow unhealthy.

but that doesn't work. because the rest of us are inconveniently here. and we live with her and interact with her. she supports us financially. she supports us emotionally, and we try to do the same for her.

one thing that's been getting clearer to me is that i just don't quite understand how to be in an adult relationship. the adults seem to know this, but they have been blocked from coming out for six months now. and even though i (ellis, by the way) can do a lot of things the adults do, i really don't get how to be in an adult relationship. mature though i can act, developmentally, i'm only 15.

so it comes back to the question: what are we to each other? w isn't my partner, or the partner of any of us who have been around. she's not some random stranger. she's not really like a friend, although we are friends, kind of. the relationship is closer than that, and more... fraught with complications, i guess.

w has described it (and particularly these past few months) as being like what would happen if her partner all of a sudden had these kids she hadn't mentioned having before, and they all showed up on our doorstep, and moved in. and then her partner went away, leaving her with just the kids.

actually, that's kind of apt. although, looking back, w might have suspected something given that we were out buying toys on our second date!

but then, what is the relationship? i guess a lot of us inside here do kind of interact with her as though she were a stepparent. i mean, sometimes being friendly, sometimes being resentful, having this relationship that we can't quite understand or define, but knowing it exists.

i feel guilty that the adults haven't been around. not that i can figure out how to convince the others to let them back. they were getting close to doing that, and then all of these new parts started showing up, and things got really chaotic again. i feel guilty that i can't be her partner. and i feel guilty that i feel guilty for that, and i also understand that my guilt over that is tied to the degree to which i was expected to be my mother's partner when i was actually fifteen, and the anger and resentment i feel around that is about being triggered... but i do feel genuinely sorry that i can't just be the adult partner w needs. of course, in a lot of ways, what my mother wanted wasn't precisely an adult partner, which is probably why i was able to do the job back then. w seems to want more equality, and some indefinable (to me) adult-ness that the adults have, and that i just don't get.

anyhow, no great insight, but it's something i've really been thinking about. because maybe it would be easier to sort things out, if we could figure out what the relationship is in the first place.

3 comments:

Medicoglia, RN said...

I don't have a lot of insight to give on this. I do understand though...we are in a similar situation. We don't sleep separately, but because our partner worked nights for a long time, we were in effect sleeping separately...same bed but at different times. The truley adult part of the relationship hasn't happened for a really long time...so long I can't even say when it was. This happened because a little was apparently nearby and Sera got triggered... during. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean!We have "adults" around most of the time, but still we struggle with the relationship thing. Fortunately for us, the partner is older and "going through the change"... so she actually has lost some interest in that aspect of the relationship due to hormonal stuff. As far as the other adult relationship stuff goes, I think we may be very lucky in that regard...our partner although not multiple, has a very easily accessable child-like part. Meaning...she doesn't really seem to know what an "adult relationship" is any more than we do! And we are now approaching our 15th anniversary.

I honestly think that the DID books out there are unrealistic when it comes to relationships. If a partner is accepting, loving and willing to spend time with littles, how can that partner not end up taking on a parental role? If the littles (and others) feel safe and want to come out, how can we expect them to not have a relationship with the other person in the house? I think it is a fine line really. The partner can't be "mom" no matter how much the littles want her to be. There is/was only one "mom"... however horrible that person may be/have been. But I think the primary adult person who is always around can take on another role and do it well. Whatever that role is depends on the person and what the system is confortable with. I don't know what you would call our partner's role. She spends time with the littles, she plays with them, colors with them, conforts them, wakes them up from nightmares etc. They all call her by her name though... or whatever variation of her name they can pronounce!

I'm rambling now, and probably not helping at all. :P

Warrier

Anonymous said...

ooooo - this is a TOUGH one!! And we deal with it all the time too. I have naturally (or unnaturally) tried to hide myself when I know I'm starting to 'go'. In truth, now, my younger people have another place they often go to where they feel more at home, than in my home! I don't know if this is good or bad. I know I've tried to be as adult as I can when I'm home because I'm afraid of ruining my adult relationship.

Recently, I set up a day that is 'date day' where I try to do all the usual married people's things like go out to eat, watch a movie, and have sex. My partner has agreed to this and it's kinds of working. So the general idea is that there is one evening a week that I try to be 'present' for real. Since it's 'set' - I can plan for it and gear up for it, and be ready for it. And all the other inside people can be 'ready' too - to NOT be present. I try to let them be around and do whatever enough, so that they don't feel shafted by not being allowed out on date night. Like I say - it's kind of working. And somedays it doesn't. My partner is totally ok if we end up having story time instead. He's really patient at this point and knows we're trying in general.

Also though - this is recent. This schedule thing that's 'kind of' working. I don't know that this COULD really work until we got a little more cooperative. There've definitely been months of no sex for sure.

Jigsaw Analogy said...

i suppose it's good to know i'm not alone. in terms of the "adult" part of our relationship, as i've talked with w about this, it becomes clear that she doesn't necessarily mean the physical part. she means some ineffable "adultness" that hasn't been happening.

it's true that we haven't had "dates" in a while, but we've done those same things (going out to dinner and a movie, or things like that), but not in a romantic way. which is good, because i'm the oldest one around, and i'm only 15. and i guess it really isn't a good idea for a 15 year old to be in a relationship with an adult (it's taken me some time to accept that, i guess because it was the role i had when i was actually 15).

with sex, well, keeping the little kids who would get triggered by that away during the specific act is something that hasn't been too difficult. they have a particular place inside, where they only go when something is happening with the body that would be triggering for them. on the other hand, there's jamie, who gets really furious about the mere *idea* of this body having sex with anyone, but we've been working on that one, since it really is different now than it was in the past.

i definitely don't want w to be a "mom." or not exactly. i tend to think of my actual mother when i think of someone being a "mom" to me, and while there are many positive aspects to my relationship with my mother, it's not something i want with someone else.

on the other hand... it's just so unclear what w's role is and/or should be. and part of the struggle is my fear that what seems to work best for me/us is unhealthy or wrong. and then i fall into being upset with myself for not being able to be self-sufficient and take care of myself without needing to involve anyone else.

it's hard for me to be sure of the difference between asking for and receiving a reasonable amount of help, and being too dependent or too demanding or something like that.