Friday, April 04, 2008

Changing the World

A little bit at a time.

Maybe it started with the ninjas.

Living in cities, I've gotten used to seeing homeless people, sitting on the sidewalk, with a sign propped up next to them. The sign is generally written with sharpie or crayon, on cardboard. Usually, the signs are pretty much the same: homeless, need food, please help. Last December, I was walking through a craft fair, and saw a picture of a homeless guy with his cardboard sign. My eye began to slide past, but then I noticed what the sign said: "Ninjas killed my family. Need $$ for kung-fu lessons." I saw the actual guy yesterday, and gave him some of my pocket change. Why? Because his sign has made me smile for months. And because, using the same resources any other panhandler can access, he did something that created some change in the world.

But I know I was thinking about change before I saw that sign.

Probably it goes back to feeling really lonely last fall. One of the things many of the younger parts in my system want is to have friends who are their own age. It wasn't seeming possible. The in-person support group I attend didn't seem to lend itself to much contact outside of the group, and the people on the online support group I'm a member of are either located far away, or aren't interested in meeting in person. So I was thinking about ways of meeting other multiples, so that my younger parts could make friends with their younger parts. One of the things that came out of that was the new DID/MPD/Dissociative awareness ribbon. And I noticed how easy it was, when I just went ahead and got the ball rolling.

And so I've been remembering how all it takes is someone to get the ball rolling, and change can happen. It's not quite that simple. There is a lot of brainstorming and trial and error involved. It helps to have other people to help bounce the ideas around, and to share the excitement of the possibilities.

So yesterday, for a lot of different reasons, I started yet another bulletin board (see what happens when I get pretty much unlimited space online? And my current sites are only taking up a small portion of my available bandwidth, too, so the possibilities are pretty much endless!)

The bulletin board is imagine.copingincrazyville.com. It's a space for people to talk about what they want in their lives, and in the world, and then to come up with strategies for how to get there.

I think that for many of us, the process of healing from abuse, or coping with our own particular brand of crazy, can be really isolating. We begin to focus on small things, to spend more time looking towards the past. And there is a place for that. But I think it's also important to make sure we look forward, and take the steps to make our future lives the kind of places we want to be.

What's more, I look at my life, and realize that I didn't start off with especially many resources. I don't have especially many resources now, or at least, not more than many other people I know. So when I think about the way I'm able to have things in my life, I believe that it's possible for others as well. Maybe we all starting out with cardboard and a sharpie, but we do have some choice about what we do with them.

So if you're interested, please check it out. And if you know of some people who have ideas, but don't know how to implement them, please let them know about the site. I think it can be a lot of fun.

6 comments:

Medicoglia, RN said...

There is a man around my area who has a great sign. I actually am not sure if he is actually homeless or "just" very poor. Anyway...his sign..."not hungry, have food stamps. I want a beer! Please help." I admired his honesty so much that it moved me to give him a couple bucks!

Jigsaw Analogy said...

The first couple of times I saw signs like that, they did amuse me. But they've become very popular among the "gutter punk" set in the cities where I've lived, and I'm less amused by them now (maybe it's fallout from when they would ask those of us wearing our AmeriCorps t-shirts for money--I mean, there we are, figuring out how to juggle all of our bills on under $600/month, and they want us to fund their beers. I don't think so.)

Medicoglia, RN said...

Where I live, the homeless people with signs are fairly new. We are now a city in my opinion, but a very small one (Raine would disagree but she lives in a TOWN...there is a big difference). That being said, when I visit SF, the homeless there give me a whole different feeling. In one area there are many that get in your face demanding money almost like a mugging...but not quite. And of course, when I have visited NYC, I was very uncomfortable at times with the same type of thing. This is actually one way I know I live in a small city...I would barely make it in SF...I wouldn't make it at all in NYC!

Jigsaw Analogy said...

I think it depends on which areas you spend your time in. There is a great deal more to NYC than midtown Manhattan, or Manhattan generally. Heck, there are quiet, laid-back parts of Manhattan, for that matter.

But then, I am *definitely* a city kid, no matter how much I may hate midtown Manhattan.

Medicoglia, RN said...

I'm not sure what exactly qualifies as midtown Manhatton, but I have a gut feeling that that is mostly where I have been. 5th Ave, Times Square, The Met, Broadway, The Cloisters, The Natural History Museum, Battery park, Central Park. We spent a lot of time walking all over, especially 5th ave, Times Square and Broadway.

The first time we were there, the father was driving (they live on Long Island) and he couldn't change lanes at the right time and ended up going over the Brooklyn Bridge into Brooklyn...an area he doesn't know at all. That actually got rather scary! As he is driving around (at night) trying to find his way back to an area he knew, things got worse and worse looking. From nice residential looking area to seedy industrial area, to broken out street lights, boarded up windows, grafiti and dark shadows of people in doorways...at that time my partner said "this would be a really bad time to get a flat tire" LOL Very true, but also very funny.

One other place we have been is the Bronx zoo. Unfortunately, I don't remember too much of our travels into the city (any burrough), and only bits and pieces of places we went, because of switching. The switching was mostly due to being in the presence of the parents though, not because of the city.

Anyway...Part of why I don't like the city very much is the sheer bulk of people...I don't do well with crowds and everywhere I have been there have been lots and lots of people. I know that that is partly because I've pretty much only been to touristy places though. Someday partner and I want to go to NY and not let the parents know we are there, so we can just do our own thing (partner wants to ride the subway!).

Well I have rambled quite a bit here. :P

Sera

Jigsaw Analogy said...

5th Ave., Times Square, Broadway (well, presuming you mean the section with all the theaters)... that's midtown. Add in the 34th street area (the Empire State building). Miserable place to be, if you don't like being around hordes of tourists.

And it is scary when you're not able to change lanes, then you wind up somewhere and can't get back to where you want to be. (Although for me, the worst of this was missing an exit on I-80 in Nevada. I mean, the exits were about 50 miles apart from each other, and there was virtually no one on the road!)

Definitely come to NY without telling you parents. It's more fun without family obligations.

I think really, New York is a city of lots of small towns. And walking through my neighborhood is more like that: I know the people here, they know me. It's not too crowded (well, ok, there are usually people on the street, but in a way that makes me feel like it's safer).

And the main noise is the neighbor kids screaming while they play, and riding up and down the street on scooters and bikes. Really, very old time-y.